U.S. Air Force Academy
US Air Force Academy is located on several hundred acres in the shadow of Pikes Peak, northwest of Colorado Springs. The US Air Force Academy claims some of the most attractive real estate in the area. The Academy provides the area with quality college football and basketball in addition to other major sports.
Base housing is very limited. Many of the larger homes are currently being renovated. Schools on base are part of Academy District 20.
The following are suggested routes and approximate drive times from various Academy District 20 neighborhoods to the US Air Force Academy:
- Northwest D-20 (Gleneagle, Flying Horse, Pine Creek, Pleasant View Estate): 10-15 minutes (West on Northgate to North entrance or Interquest, north on I-25 to the North entrance)
- Northeast D-20 (Black Forest): 15-20 minutes (Hwy 83 to Northgate to North entrance)
- Central D-20 (Briargate): 10-15 minutes (Research west to Hwy 83, south to Academy Blvd, north to South entrance)
- Southwest D-20 (Peregrine, Woodmen Valley, Rockrimmon): 10-15 minutes (Russina south to Garden of the Gods, or Rockrimmon east to I-25, North Academy exit, to South entrance)
- Southeast D-20 (Cordera, Wolf Ranch, Highland Park, eastern Briargate): 15-20 minutes (West on Research or Briargate Blvd, south on Hwy 83, north on Academy Blvd to south entrance)
By Nancy Murray
Murray & Associates, Keller Williams Colorado Springs